Technology and Society in Asia
The Asian region is the home of some of the world’s most technologically sophisticated engineering, and is also a region of social, economic and environmental diversity, facing the challenges of both under-development and over-development. What can and should engineers and other technologists be doing to meet these challenges? This conference will bring together engineers, computer scientists, technologists, academics, educators, researchers and practitioners from India, China, Japan, Singapore, Australia and many other countries to discuss and exchange experience, case studies, theories, designs, work-in-progress, and ideas regarding the social implications of technology in the Asian region.
Keynote and Featured Speakers
- NR Narayana Murthy, Chairman Emeritus, Infosys Ltd: Reflecting on IT and the Global Community
- Professor Kenkichi Hirose, Tokai Institute of Global Education and Research, Tokai University and Special Advisor to the Cabinet Office on the Fukushima nuclear accident: The Accident at TEPCO's Fukushima Nuclear Power Station.
- Michael Gurstein, Centre for Community Informatics Research, Development and Training (CCIRDT), Vancouver
Co-sponsors are IEEE Singapore, IEEE Victorian Section, the IEEE Society on Social Implications of Technology (SSIT), IEEE India Council, SSIT Australia and SSIT Japan. The conference is also supported by the Computer Society of India.
- Environmental technologies
- Humanitarian technologies
- Ethics and governance in technology
- Gender and technology
- Technology and Education
- Technology and Health
- Philosophy of technology
- History of technology
New: Finalised Conference Program: TSA2012-Program.pdf
List of Authors and Paper Titles: Authors_and_papers_22_Sept_2012.pdf
Extended deadline for Posters
Posters describing research in progress will be included in the conference proceedings. The deadline for Posters (encouraged from current research students) is 30 September.
On the opening day of the conference, 27 October, a 3-hour Doctoral Consortium will be held providing PhD students the opportunity to meet senior specialists in this field, and discuss challenges in their research. Contact email@example.com for details.
New: Conference Brochure available: TSA_brochure_std.pdf